Tyche's Monthly Challenge (February 2013): It's All Been Done (Passionately). by TycheSong
Ladies and Gents (and Other) of The Maple Bookshelf, I, TycheSong, challenge you thusly:
Utilize your knowledge of classic facepalm and headdesk worthy tropes and clichés to write (or parody) your very own classic romance, complete with MarySue (or GaryStu).
The Parameters of the Challenge
- The story must be at least 1000 words, and can be as long as you like.
- This challenge story can be fan-fic OR original!
- It MUST be a completed and posted story by 28 February. You are, as always, free to add to it after or write sequels, but the story must be readable as a complete work by the due date.
- You are not required to include lemons, but they are highly encouraged. This is a classic tropish romance, after all. Bosoms should heave and bodices be ripped accordingly. :-)
- You must have a Romance trope-worthy title (ie The Barbarian’s Captive, To Tame a Dark Lord, etc)
- Please continue to use proper SPaG (Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar). Just because this is a trope is no reason to slide the standard. They are tropes because they (allegedly) work! Trope and Parody are NOT synonymous with troll-fic or poorly written.
- On a similar note, please keep your Mary Sue in check. Don’t let her run the fic or make your readers want to strangle her too badly.
- You are welcome to join at any time during the month of February, but please sign up so that the admins know you plan to participate and can add your fic accordingly when you post. :-)
- Not your cup of tea? Head over to the forums and play with the February monthly prompts instead. :-)
The Challenge Prompts/Examples:
(These are some of the most “classic” plot tropes in both fan-fiction and original work, you do NOT have to use one of them)
1. Enemies due to family…and one of the main characters abducts the other.
2. Heroine falls for the lowly servant-who-is-really-the-Lord in disguise.
3. Marriage Law or Marriage of Convenience.
4. Time Travel (forward or back)
5. Best Friend’s Little Sister
6. Sham Betrothal Turned Real
7. Unexpected or Secret Pregnancy
8. Student/Teacher (or) Boss/Secretary etc.
To sign up, please e-mail me at TycheSong@hotmail.com or TycheSong@gmail.com with the subject heading “February Challenge.” Don’t forget to include your TMB screen name, otherwise I may not recognize you! Happy writing!
Hilariously appropriate banner by the fantastic LadyStiff!
[ Report This